What is OHSAS18001
OHSAS18001 is the world’s foremost recognised health and safety management model. It is soon to be replaced by ISO45001.
Who uses OHSAS18001?
OHSAS18001 is applicable to all organisations from service to manufacturing and from sole traders to large multi-nationals. In fact, any company or business which is seeking to reduce its health and safety risk, reduce accidents, reduce ill-health and assure its customers that it fully complies with all environmental legislation
Why implement OHSAS18001?
Implementing a certified environmental management system provides a range of benefits including:
- provides assurance to external stakeholders such as customers, the community and regulators
- potential savings in the cost of lost time due to accidents and ill health
- increased competitiveness among industry rivals
- meets the requirements for public and private tenders
- reduced potential for health and safety liability and fines
- helps ensure environmental compliance
- improved employee motivation through the provision of a safe work place
Is it compatible with other standards?
OHSAS18001 is not directly compatible with ISO9001 and ISO14001 but integration of these standards is achievable using a framework described in a document called PAS99.
However, the replacement for OHSAS18001 (ISO14001) is based on a structure called Annex SL and is fully compatible with ISO9001 (quality management) and ISO14001 (environmental). What this means is that 3 systems can be seamlessly implemented together into a single integrated management system. Similarly, ISO9001 or ISO14001 can be easily integrated into an existing ISO14001 EMS.